Here are the ingredients that you need to compile in order to complete this recipe:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup water
- ⅓ cup chopped, cored, and seeded red apple
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Canola oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
Here are the instructions that you will need to follow in order to complete this recipe:
- First, you need to fully combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. You want all of the dry ingredients to be well mixed before you add the wet ingredients.
- Now, you need to stir in all of the water. Then, you want to gently fold in the apples and pecans by hand, do not use a stand mixer or hand mixer for this step. Also, don’t over mix the dough of the apple fritters will have a very tough texture. Now take the dough and set it aside.
- Next, in a deep, 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, add just enough canola oil to come halfway up the sides of the saucepan. Be careful not to overfill the saucepan with oil. You can always add more, but it’s harder to take some away. Now, you need to bring the heat to 350°F.
- Using a large metal spoon, carefully drop large spoonfuls of the dough into the oil and fry them for about 4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Flip them if you need to halfway through in order to ensure that all sides of the fritter get a nice crisp.
- Next, you need to use a slotted spoon to remove the fritters from the pan and drain them each on a large paper towel-lined plate. Careful, they will be very hot.
- Now, you can dust them with powdered sugar and enjoy while warm.