Here are the ingredients that you need to compile to complete this recipe:
Pumpkin Roll Cake
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice*
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces brick-style cream cheese, well-softened to room temp (not lite or fat free)**
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, well-softened to room temp**
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted; plus more for dusting, optional
- confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Here are the instructions that you need to complete in order to make this recipe:
- Cake – Preheat your oven to 375F and spray a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with parchment paper and then spray the parchment paper. Don’t be shy with spraying it because you don’t want your cake to stick!
- To a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, any additional spices and whisk to combine; set aside.
- To a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, and whisk to combine.
- Add the pumpkin puree, lemon juice, and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir until just combined.
- Turn the batter out into the prepared jelly roll pan, and bake for 15 minutes. Because this is such a thin cake, it bakes very fast. Start checking at 10 minutes and when it is set in the middle, springy to the touch, it’s done.
- While the cake is still hot, starting at a short side, roll the cake up into a roll.
- Cool the cake for 20 minutes at room temp (you can let it sit on the parchment paper) and then place it loosely covered with plastic wrap and resting on the parchment paper in the fridge for 30 minutes. While the cake is cooling make the frosting.
- Frosting – To a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer, or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and beat on high speed until well combined.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, beating on low speed at first and increasing to high after the sugar is incorporated. Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Remove the cooled cake and carefully unroll it.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake, spreading it out to the edges.
- Roll the cake back up and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Place in back in the refrigerator for an additional 30 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Optionally dust with additional confectioners’ sugar.
- Slice into 1 inch slices and serve. Pumpkin roll will keep airtight for up to 5 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months.