Here are the ingredients that you need to compile in order to complete this recipe:
- 2 tablespoons Salted Butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 teaspoons Real Maple Syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons Finely Chopped Pecans (about .50 ounces or 14 grams whole pecans)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 6 whole pecans for topping, (optional)
Here are the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete this recipe:
- In a small mixing bowl cream together the butter, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth and light, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in chopped pecans and flour until combined.
- Chill the soft dough until it is firm enough to be rolled, at least 20 minutes.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 325°F and adjust the cooking rack to the middle position. If using a toaster oven, select the BAKE setting.
- Line a quarter sheet pan with a silicone baking mat or lightly oil.
- Divide dough into six equal pieces, roll into balls and place at least 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Using your fingers or the bottom of a floured glass gently press dough into circles about 2.5 inches wide and 1/8 inch thick. Press a whole pecan into the center of each cookie, if desired.
- Bake until the edges are golden brown, about 11 to 13 minutes. *The cookies may seem soft out of the oven but they will crisp up as they cool. Allow cookies to cool completely on the baking pan before devouring.
- Cookies can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days. They can also be frozen but do lose some of their crispness.
- To make ice cream sandwiches, you need to omit the pecans pressed into the tops of the cookies. Place a scoop of the softened ice cream on the flat side of a cookie then top with another cookie.
- Press gently to spread the ice cream evenly, if you press too firmly you will break the cookies. Wrap cookie sandwiches individually in plastic wrap and return to the freezer for a few hours until the ice cream has firmed up completely.