Skillet cakes are a great option for a single serve dessert or a nice way to split a dessert between two people. They are simple to make as they can be popped right in a toaster oven, or made versatile with tons of different ingredients.
This version of the cake can be made in a skillet, which is a fun way to bake it and the bake is even and well done. However, you can also use a ramekin or a small baking bowl.
Here are the ingredients that you need to gather in order to make this fruity dessert.
- 2 tablespoons White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon Brown Sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Fine Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Milk, (use non-dairy for vegan)
- 1/8 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon Grapeseed Oil (plus more for oiling the pan)
- 1 teaspoon Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, (use non-dairy for vegan)
- 1/4 cup Frozen Berries, (do not thaw)
- Ice cream, melted chocolate chips, whipped cream, yogurt
Here are the instructions that you need to follow in order to complete this recipe:
- For the first step, you need to adjust your toaster oven’s cooking rack to the bottom position, select the BAKE setting, and preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly oil a 3.5 inch cast iron skillet, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, the baking powder, and salt until no clumps remain.
- Whisk in the milk, vanilla, and oil until smooth. Stir in the mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared skillet. Top with frozen berries and sprinkle remaining 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar over the fruit.
- Bake until the cake is lightly golden, browned around the edges, and the fruit is bubbly about 20 to 24 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool until you can safely touch the skillet. Then add your favorite toppings and dig in!