Attention Gilmore Girls fans! Have you ever wanted to have a meal a Luke’s? Now you can create one right in your kitchen! Here are the ingredients to compile to make this cheeseburger just like you would get at Luke’s Diner!
- 2 sesame-seed buns
- 1 lb. lean beef, ground
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 2 cheddar cheese slices
- Grilled onions, optional
- Sautéed mushrooms, optional
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Any other toppings of your choice, optional
- 12 chips
Here are the directions to follow in order to make and assemble the burger.
- Prepare buns and garnish. On two separate plates, arrange a sesame-seed bun, open, on each. Beside each bun, arrange garnish. Set aside.
- Make hamburger patties. Divide the ground beef in half. Roll each half into a ball; then, between your palms, flatten it to ¾-inch thickness. Place the flattened patties onto a plate. Season each patty with ½ teaspoon of kosher salt and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Fry patties. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Place the hamburger patties onto the skillet, leaving space between them. (Cook patties one at a time if both won’t fit in your skillet at once.) After 3 minutes, flip the patties. Cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add a cheese slice to each patty, if desired. Let patties sit in the skillet for an additional 2 minutes. Place each patty on a bun, and serve with grilled onions and sautéed mushrooms, below.
- Grilled Onions. Thinly slice 1 yellow onion. Separate each slice into rings. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a frying pan. Add onions. Use a spatula to flip onions a few times to coat them evenly with butter. Season with ¼ teaspoon each: salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and granulated garlic. Continue flipping every 20–30 seconds for 5 minutes or until onions become tender and golden brown. Serve.
- Sautéed Mushrooms. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter in a large frying pan. Add 3 cups sliced white mushrooms. Use a spatula to flip mushrooms a few times to coat them evenly with oil/butter. Season with ¼ teaspoon each: salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, and granulated garlic. Continue flipping every 20–30 seconds for 5 minutes or until mushrooms become tender. Serve. This recipe is enough for two people.