Have you ever made chocolate bread? If you haven’t you’re missing out. Here is a wonderful chocolate babka recipe to try.
- 3 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Cold Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 Cup Milk Lukewarm
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Chocolate
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1/4 Cup of water
- 1/4 Cup of Sugar
Here are the directions you should follow to complete the recipe:
- You need to add the flour, yeast, salt, sugar and cold butter in the stand mixer or food processor.
- Pulse until the butter disintegrates and mixes with the flour.
- Add the eggs one by one until the mixture is combined.
- Trickle in the 1 cup of milk. The dough should start to come together now. Process for 1 minute. If it seems to dry add 1 tbsp of milk in increments till you get a soft dough.
- Take the dough out.
The quick way is to keep the kneaded bread in a bowl, covered with wet kitchen towel for 2-4 hours.The easier way is to keep the dough in a covered bowl(use cling film) in the fridge for 8-10 hours.
If in the fridge, take the dough out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.Knead the dough for 2 minutes to make it pliable. Divide it into two halves.
Make a Ball of the one halve and roll it into a rectangle. About 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread the butter in the rectangle by leaving 1 inch space. Sprinkle the chopped Chocolate. Roll it from the longer side to make a long log. Keep it in the fridge for 10 minutes to make it easier to cut.
Cut the log along it’s length and then braid it. Lift this into a prepared loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Let it rise for another 30 min-1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 356 F. Bake the babka in the oven for about 35-40 minutes. Bread is done if the skewer inserted comes in clean. Also when you knock on the back of the bread and it feels hollow.
Make this ahead of time so that it can be brushed over the bread as soon as its out of the oven.
Heat the sugar and water in a sauce pan together till the sugar crystals dissolve and the syrup thickens. Brush it generously over the babka for the beautiful glossy look.