This breakfast casserole is made with all of the delicious ingredients that are breakfast staples. There is plenty of cooked breakfast sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, an egg, milk, bread, salt and pepper and whatever else you want to throw in.
A breakfast casserole is a great dish to throw together for a weekend brunch, or if you have the ingredients in your fridge but you aren’t sure what to make. A breakfast casserole can also be very versatile, and made up of many different flavors from bacon to turkey to spinach. You can make a meat lovers version or a veggie version as well.
Here are the ingredients you need to compile to complete this recipe:
- 6 ounces ground pork sausage, cooked and drained of fat
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups cubed French Bread
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (Monterey Jack cheese is a good alternative)
Here are the instructions you need to make this wonderful recipe:
- In a medium-sized skillet, cook the sausage until it is no longer pink. Transfer the sausage to a paper towel lined plate and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg completely. Now, you need to whisk in all of the milk, salt and pepper.
- Take some butter and use it to fully grease a 5-inch baking dish, or dish of a similar size. Line the dish with the bread, cutting and rearranging if necessary to completely fill the dish, or use as much as you want.
- Sprinkle the bread with the cooked sausage and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the entire dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Cook the casserole, covered with aluminum foil for 25 to 30 minutes or until egg mixture is set.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy the casserole while it is still hot.