Here are the ingredients that you will need to compile to make this dessert:
- 1 cup chocolate wafer crumbs (about 17 crushed wafers)
- Pinch of cream of tartar
Here the directions you need to follow to make this dessert:
For the cake:
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line the bottom of a 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan with parchment paper. Do not butter sides.
- In a bowl, combine flour with 60 ml (¼ cup) of sugar. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat eggs, remaining sugar (60 ml / ¼ cup) and vanilla with an electric mixer until it triples in volume and falls into a ribbon from the beater, about 10 minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients over egg mixture, folding gently with a spatula or whisk.
- Spread batter into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes. Slide a thin knife around the cake to detach it from the pan. Unmould and let cool on a wire rack.
For the filling:
- Line a 2-liter (8-cup) metal bowl with an opening diameter of about 20-cm (8-inch) with plastic wrap.
- In another bowl, combine vanilla ice cream with chocolate crumbs and pecans. Spread at the bottom of the prepared bowl. Cover with cherry and chocolate ice cream. Top with cake and press lightly. Fold plastic wrap over the cake and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
For the meringue:
- Whip the egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until foamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in the sugar at high speed until the whites are glossy and hold stiff peaks.
To finish the assembly:
- Unmould frozen ice cream cake and invert onto a plate. Remove plastic wrap. Cover with meringue.
- Pour vodka into a ladle and gently heat alcohol over the stove (see note). When the liquid is hot, remove from heat and flambé with a long match or barbecue lighter. Gently pour onto the meringue. Slice and serve.