Here are the ingredients that you need for this recipe:
Brown Sugar Topping
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened (half of 1 stick)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch salt, optional and to taste
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze
- about 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- splash cream or milk, as necessary
Here are the directions that you need to follow to complete this recipe:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine all ingredients for topping in a medium bowl, and mash together and toss with a fork until pea-sized clumps form. There will be some sandy bits and some small clumps; set bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, optional salt; set aside.
- In a large measuring cup or separate small bowl, whisk together the next 5 wet ingredients (through vanilla).
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing lightly with a spoon until just combined. Small lumps will be present and this is okay. Don’t overmix or try to stir them smooth; set aside. Batter will be on the thicker side.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle brown sugar topping mixture over cake batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. .
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool for at least 30 minutes before optionally glazing.
- Combine all ingredients for glaze in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Evenly drizzle the glaze over the cake before slicing and serving. Cake will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days.