Attention peppermint lovers! Here are the ingredients that you need in order to make this peppermint sheet cake or cupcakes if you want!
Sheet Cake Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder (substitute cocoa powder with more flour, if you’d prefer a vanilla candy cane sheet cake!)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
Peppermint Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 sticks (24 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened or slightly melted
- 41⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
Here are the directions that you need to follow in order to make and assemble this cake:
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13” baking pan and then set it aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together butter, sugars, and eggs until well combined. Whisk in oil and vanilla. Whisk in milk and vinegar.
- Whisk in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt just until smooth.
- Pour the batter into your sprayed pan and sprinkle crushed candy cane pieces on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes at 350°F until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in. Using oven mitts, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely in the pan before frosting.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the milk, mint extract, and salt and mix until combined and fluffy. Add the candy canes and continue mixing just until combined.
- Add the ½ cup crushed or whole peppermint candy or candy canes
- Spread the Peppermint Frosting across the surface and edges of the cooled cake. Decorate to your heart’s desire— I love some whole candy canes, some crushed and a little fresh powdered sugar dust. Save for a dessert centerpiece or cut into squares or triangles and tuck in!