Lots of people are spending more time at home, and home baking is on the rise. However, baking staple ingredients like flour and eggs are becoming hard to come by in the grocery store, and that’s likely to continue for a while.
Having a baking ingredient is nothing new, and recipes have been adapted for decades when food were rationed during times of world war and famine. There is a simple way to make a chocolate cake without any eggs, flour or butter. It’s called the Depression Era Cake, the Crazy Cake or Wacky Cake.
Here are the ingredients you need for the recipe.
- 1 1/2 Cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup sugar (All-purpose sugar)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Cup water
Here are the directions you need to make this moist chocolate wacky cake:
- First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the first five dry ingredients together in a bowl before transferring to a fully greased 8″ square baking pan.
- Next, make three depressions in the dry ingredients. Make two small depressions and one larger, as this is where the wet ingredients will be poured.
- Pour vinegar in one small depression, vanilla in the other small depression and the vegetable oil in third larger depression.
- Finally, pour water over all of the mixture. Then, mix it well until the batter is completely smooth.
- Bake the cake on the middle rack of the oven for at least 35 minutes. Use a toothpick to check for doneness, and continue baking if necessary.
You can also make a simple frosting for the top of the cake if you want. The best part of this recipe is that the cake is completely dairy-free, vegan and gluten-free, so basically anyone can consume it.