OMG

Reports Of 170 People Sickened At Chipotle

Chipotle is in the news again, as the company continues to struggle to keep its head above water.

A report states that 170 people fell ill after eating at an Ohio restaurant that is the center of Chipolte’s latest bout with bad press.  The news was released by a website that tracks foodborne illness complaints.  The website, iwaspoisoned.com, received a total of 105 reports indicating that more than 170 individuals experienced foodborne illness after dining at the Powell, Ohio restaurant since July 29th.

Image: Claimhamster.tk

The majority of the reports came into the website after the Business Insider’s reporting late Monday that Chipolte had shut the location down due to customers reporting and complaining of illnesses.  Due to the news, Chipotle stock shares fell more than 3% in after-hours trading.

Chipotle spokeswoman Laurie Schalow stated they were not aware of any confirmed illnesses and were cooperating with the local health department in further investigation into the reports incidences.  She went on to add that Chipolte takes each and every claim of food safety seriously, and are looking closely into the few reports of illness having supposedly occurred at their Ohio branch.

Image: People Magazine

The local health department stated they had received illness complaints from seven customers themselves, on July 29th and July 30th.  However, when officials arrived at the restaurant to perform an official inspection they found that the location was closed.

After contacting a representative at the company, the health department learned that Chipotle had received four to five complaints of illnesses as well.  Chipotle claimed they were unable to reach the health department to inform them of the claims.  Chipotle also informed the health department that several staff members had called off due to illness on the 29th and 30th as well.

The closing of the restaurant on Monday was voluntary, as the company stated they wanted to perform a deep cleaning of the location as well as remove all exposed food and single-use equipment.  The company stated that they planned to have the restaurant reopened by the next day.