Homemade Mint Ice Cream Recipe
Ice cream is the perfect cold dessert for a hot summer day. Ice cream is also a rather simple dessert to make from scratch. The advantages of this include being able to control the amount of sugar in the ice cream and choosing the flavor you want. This mint recipe is easy to make and the flavor is not overpowering.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch with two tablespoons of milk. In a large bowl, whisk all the cream cheese together until it’s smooth.
- Combine the sugar, heavy cream, milk and corn syrup in a large saucepan. Boil the milk mixture over medium heat and watch carefully until the sugar fully dissolves, or about four minutes.
3. Take the mixture off of the heat, and slowly whisk the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Once the ingredients are combined, return the saucepan to a boil and cook over a medium heat until the mixture is fully thickened or at least one minute.
4. Slowly whisk the milk mixture into the cream cheese until the mixture is smooth. Add and salt and mint and slowly whisk all the ingredients together. Fill a large bowl with ice water and then place the bowl with the combined milk mixture into the ice bath. Stir the mixture every few minutes, for at least twenty minutes.
5. Add the ice cream mixture into an ice cream maker and add more mint leaves to strengthen the flavor. Freeze the ice cream in a plastic container.
6. Put a sheet on plastic wrap over the top of the ice cream, close the plastic lid and then freeze the ice cream for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.